La Follette School students gain practical experience partnering with public, private, and nonprofit organizations to address real‑world challenges.
Each semester, graduate student groups work interactively with “clients” under the direction of a La Follette School faculty member. Students can analyze existing data, search for data and information, and collect information through interviews with experts. La Follette staff will work with you to hone your idea into a research project that matches the student talent with your organization’s need.
Let us know about your project idea and organization by submitting a project proposal.
What makes a good project?
- Clearly stated problem, challenge or opportunity and clearly defined deliverables that can be accomplished in approximately 14 weeks
- Dedicated point person with capacity to be responsive to the student team (time commitment of point person is approximately 4-6 hours during weeks 1-4, 10-12 hours during weeks 5-10, and 6-8 hours during weeks 11-14)
- Availability of data and/or documentation
- Support of organizational leadership
- Openness to unexpected analysis results
What does the selection process look like?
Potential client organizations submit project proposals via the form above.
First-time applicants are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting project proposals to determine if the project scope and focus is a good fit for our courses.
La Follette School faculty select projects based on several criteria which include student interest, clearly stated problem, challenge or opportunity and clearly defined deliverables.