Robert M. La Follette School of Public Affairs

Tuition and Cost of Living

The Office of the Registrar provides tuition information for resident and non-resident graduate students. The Graduate School lists additional information about the cost of living that international students may find useful.

Financial Assistance

The La Follette School awards scholarships and fellowships to new students on a merit basis. Scholarships are provided through generous donors, faculty and alumni.
Two types of fellowships are available for La Follette School of Public Affairs students based on merit for their first year.

  1. La Follette School Fellowships are awarded each year on a merit basis. All students who apply by January 1 have priority consideration. Students are evaluated for fellowships during the application process. There is no separate application. La Follette School Fellowships provide a stipend for the first year of study, in-state tuition, and health insurance. Fellows are also given priority consideration for project assistantships during their second year. A project assistantship (PAship) provides tuition, health insurance coverage, and a stipend. During the second year, project assistants (PAs) pay their student fees.
  2. La Follette can nominate applicant for the University of Wisconsin–Madison Graduate School Advanced Opportunity Fellowship.

Second-Year Support

Second-year support is available through PAships for which students apply by submitting résumés and cover letters. There are three types of PAships:

  1. La Follette PAships are those granted to La Follette by the dean of the College of Letters and Science. Generally these PAs are assigned to work with a La Follette faculty member. Their tuition is covered, they earn a stipend, and they receive health insurance. Priority is given to La Follette fellows.
  2. La Follette students are eligible to apply for other university project assistantships. See the online UW Student Job Center.
  3. External PAs are those that La Follette develops with non-university public and private agencies. Those agencies provide employment by funding a PA, rather than by directly employing students on an hourly or salaried basis.

Other Scholarship/Fellowship Opportunities

Various fellowships are available to students each year to help pay for tuition and expenses.

  1. Brenton Scholarship
  2. Education Analytics Fellowship
  3. Maddy Institute Fellowship
  4. Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship
  5. Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship Program
  6. Foreign Language Area Studies
  7. Mosse Graduate Fellowship
  8. Brittingham Viking Organization Scholarships
  9. UW-Madison Scholarships
  10. Funding Information for New and Current Graduate Students
  11. Salt Financial Wellness Program (see Scholarship Search)


The University Apartments community serves University of Wisconsin–Madison graduate students, students with families, postdoctoral researchers, academic staff, and faculty. It comprises three distinct neighborhoods: Eagle Heights, University Houses, and Harvey Street. University Apartments is also home to Eagle's Wing Child Care and Education Programs, a licensed child-care service for resident and non-resident families. For more information and for application forms for university housing, contact:

Division of University Housing
Slichter Hall
625 Babcock Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

For housing off-campus, check with the Campus and Visitor Relations' Campus Area Housing Office.

International Students

International students who apply by January 1 will be considered for merit-based fellowships and scholarships. The Graduate School does not request financial documents from international applicants until a recommendation for admission has been received. Once an international student has been accepted, he or she sends financial documents directly to the Graduate School Admissions Office.

Federal Financial Aid

To qualify for federal aid, students complete the required documents found at the Federal Student Aid website.

U.S. citizenship, permanent residence, or resident-alien status is required for federally funded programs fellowship, loan, and grant programs. International students cannot be considered for long-term loans or federal work-study programs.